• What kind of work permit do I need to work in Canada on a temporary basis ?

    If you have a temporary job offer, you will need a temporary work permit.

    In most cases, an employer must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is a document from the Government of Canada that gives the employer permission to hire a foreign worker.

    Mobilité francophone allows Canadian employers to hire francophone and bilingual workers from abroad to work outside of Quebec in managerial, professional and technical/skilled trades occupations without having to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), irrespective of age or nationality. For information on Mobilité francophone: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2m

    You may be eligible for a temporary work permit under International Experience Canada, an international youth mobility program, without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). For information on International Experience Canada : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp

    For information on other LMIA exempt work permits : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp

  • And to emigrate permanently ?

    If you wish to live permanently in Canada, you may apply for permanent residencea through Express Entry. Express Entry is a new electronic system to manage applications for permanent residence in certain economic programs. Qualifying Express Entry candidates who will be invited to apply for permanent residence can expect faster processing times of six months or less.

    Before Destination Canada, learn about the different immigration categories.

    Each province and territory has its own Provincial Nominee Program. Visit the website of the province or territory where you wish to live for information on how you could be selected. For information specific to Quebec : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp

  • How much does it cost to attend Destination Canada ?

    There is no participation fee. However, you must cover all associated costs: transportation, meals, accommodation, etc.

    The French public employment service may under certain conditions reimburse travel expenses for registered job-seekers. For more information, consult your Pôle emploi counsellor.

  • Who will be coming ?

    We are expecting up to 800 participants per day.

    Several Canadian provinces and territories will be represented.

    Representatives of francophone community organizations are also expected.

    The public services for international employment ("Pôle emploi international" in France, "Forem", "Actiris International", "Vdab" in Belgium ) will provide expatriation counselling.

    The Visa Office of the Embassy of Canada in Paris, organizer of the event and responsible for visa and permit applications from France and Belgium among other countries, will participate in the information session and round table discussion and be present at a stand in order to guide participants and employers through the different procedures.

  • Can I participate in Destination Canada even if there are no job offers that match my profile ?

    You may still be invited to attend Destination Canada as an information and networking event, even if there are no job offers that match your profile. All candidates with an Express Entry profile will receive an invitation.

  • Do I have to attend an information session or a webinar on Canada before Destination Canada ?

    It is strongly recommended to attend an information session or a webinar about Canada before Destination Canada. This will help you better understand the Canadian labour market and employment prospects. Sign up today for an upcoming session!

  • May I attend Destination Canada without an invitation ?

    No, you must receive an official invitation to attend Destination Canada. Some sessions will be accessible to all via webcast.

  • If I am invited to attend Destination Canada, may I bring my spouse ?

    The invitation is valid for one person only. If your spouse wishes to accompany you he/she must have an invitation. If your spouse was invited for a different date/time, please send an email with both your names and indicate the date and time of the preferred group.

  • How do I get more information ?

    If your request to participate is accepted, you will receive the invitation and details by email. The first invitations will be sent out early November.

    Job offers will be posted on this website as the event approaches.

    You will find other useful information as well as an information guide on the Documentation page.

    You can also connect with us through social media - @DestCan on Twitter and Facebook!

Employers and institutional representatives

  • What is the immigration process if I hire a candidate at Destination Canada for a temporary position ?

    You can hire foreign workers through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Employers need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to hire through this program. More information here : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/worker.asp

    Many participants will be eligible for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt temporary work permits under the International Mobility Program, International Experience Canada: Working-Holiday, Young Professionals, International Co-op Internship or the new Mobilité francophone stream.

  • What is the immigration process if I hire a candidate at Destination Canada for a permanent position ?

    Employers who wish to hire skilled foreign workers and support their permanent resident visa application can make a job offer under the Express Entry system. This could improve the chances of your candidate's immigration application receiving priority processing and being approved.

    Employers must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) through Employment and Social Development Canada. There is no processing fee for permanent positions for employers choosing only to support a foreign national's application for a permanent resident visa.

    The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is another program which allows successful applicants to become permanent residents. Each province and territory has its own criteria for their programs. In many cases, employers can support applications for nomination certificates.

    Candidates will receive information about the different types of applications in advance of "Destination Canada" and again at the event.